Gyles Brandreth is a performer, writer and broadcaster. Formerly the MP for the City of Chester and a Lord Commissioner of the Treasury in John Major’s government, he is editor-at-large of the Sunday Telegraph Review and a London correspondent for CBS News. His many books include an acclaimed diary of his life in politics Breaking the Code, a biography of Sir John Gielgud and 3 novels.
A Scholar at Oxford and President of the Oxford Union, he is a former Chairman and now Vice-President of the National Playing Fields Association, and the co-curator (with his wife, Michele Brown) of the National Portrait Gallery exhibition of 20th century children’s authors.
- ‘Probably the best speaker I have heard’ Daily Express
- ‘Brandreth is brilliant‘ Daily Mail
- ‘Gyles Brandreth has a serious talent for making people laugh’ Daily Mirror
- ‘Not merely, like all the best after-dinner speakers, does he know how to spin a yarn – unlike most politicians, he has a touching access to the secrets of the human heart’ The Times
- ‘Terrific – the first standing ovation for a speaker we’ve ever had.’ Defence Industry Security Association, 2010
- ‘Excellent. He made the crew laugh as much as the guests and that’s some accolade.‘ St James’s Place, 2010
- ‘What can I say? Gyles was as fantastic as ever. He really is a pleasure to work with.’ East Midlands Property Awards, 2010
- ‘His speech couldn’t have been more perfect and apt if we had written it for him. The fact that he was on just before the Minister worked brilliantly and he said things that no-one else could have got away with.’ Association of Chief Trading Standards Officers, 2010
- ‘Brilliant. A standing ovation that was richly deserved.’ Isle of Man Law Society, 2010
- PUBLIC OPINION – Series presenter – BBC1
- HAVE I GOT NEWS FOR YOU – Guest presenter – BBC 1
- BREAKFAST WITH FROST – Regular newspaper reviewer – BBC 1
- THIS IS YOUR LIFE – Subject – BBC1
- QI – Guest – BBC2
- CELEBRITY MASTERMIND – Guest – BBC2
- COUNTDOWN – Regular guest – Channel 4
- RICHARD & JUDY – Guest – Channel 4
- UP TO THE MINUTE – Regular presenter – CBS News
- THE BRANDRETH RULES FOR THE GREAT OFFICES 2007 – Series presenter- BBC R4
- WHISPERS – Series presenter – BBC Radio 4
- WE’VE BEEN HERE BEFORE – Team captain – BBC Radio 4
- JUST A MINUTE – Guest – BBC Radio 4
- BRANDRETH’S RULES – Series presenter – BBC Radio 4
- PICK OF THE WEEK – Guest presenter – BBC Radio 4
- BROADCASTING HOUSE – Regular newspaper reviewer – BBC Radio 4
- Malvolio in TWELFTH NIGHT – THE MUSICAL Edinburgh followed on from ZIPP! 100 MUSICALS IN 100 MINUTES (Edinburgh Festival Most Popular Show Award)
- Duchess Theatre and UK Tour; New York. Also WIT’S END, one-man show
- CHARLES & CAMILLA: PORTRAIT OF A LOVE AFFAIR, following PHILIP & ELIZABETH: PORTRAIT OF A MARRIAGE – Sunday Times best-seller. ‘Thoughtful, sympathetic, wholly original, often hilarious, occasionally profound, I came away with the strong feeling that I had glimpsed the Queen and Prince Philip for the first time as they really are.’ Craig Brown, Mail on Sunday.
- BRIEF ENCOUNTERS: MEETINGS WITH REMARKABLE PEOPLE – ‘His interviews are quite superb. Nobody does it better.’ Michael Parkinson
- BREAKING THE CODE: WESTMINSTER DIARIES – In 2007/2008 John Murray in the UK and Simon and Schuster in the US began publishing
- THE OSCAR WILDE MURDER MYSTERIES – his series of Victorian murder mysteries featuring Oscar Wilde as the detective.